Multiple Design Environment (MDE)
- Opening multiple drawings in a single session using the File Open dialog increases
- Dragging and dropping from Windows Explorer to open drawings in a single session saves
time opening files.
- Work smarter by multitasking between drawings without interrupting workflow.
- Increase productivity while editing multiple drawing files.
- Work faster by dragging and dropping objects from one drawing.
- Move objects within drawings with a simple click drag operation.
- Copy objects within drawings with a simple click drag operation.
- Increase productivity by copying objects between drawings with a simple click drag
- Support for both right and left mouse drag & drop options.
- A right drag of an AutoCAD drawing from Windows Explorer provides a different set of
options than left drag.
- Reduced number of steps required to copy and move objects.
- Property Paint styles from one drawing to the another.
- Maintain drawing standards by property painting hatches from one drawing to the another.
- Property Paint color from one drawing to the another.
- Maintain consistency by property painting linetype from one drawing to the another.
- Property Paint lineweight from one drawing to the another.
- Property Paint URL from one drawing to the another.
- Command concurrency is maintained when working in multiple drawings.
- Visual LISP variable support across multiple drawings.
- MDE supports all the typical Windows MDI functions, such as; tile, cascade, minimized,
and full screen modes.
- Property Paint linetype scale from one drawing to the another.
- Cut/Copy/Paste support.
- Paste as Block or individual objects.
- Accurately paste objects by copying with base point.
- Customers can switch between drawings in a single session of AutoCAD without canceling
their current command.
- MDE concurrent command execution enables uninterrupted flow of thought when switching
drawings, thus making it easier to work.
- Lists the blocks, dimension styles, external references, linetypes, text styles, layers,
layouts, and hatch patterns for the current opened file(s) as well as drawing files from
the local machine, network drives and Internet web sites.
- Provides the customer with an intuitive, efficient, Windows Explorer-like dialog for
easy access to content located in drawing files. Enables the customer to leverage and
extract previously completed work from other drawings. More accessible content from the
local machine, Internet and network drives enables group collaboration. Improved
compliance with Windows standards, improved learnability and usability.
- AutoCAD DesignCenter is available at all times as a modeless dialog.
- Customers can drag blocks from AutoCAD DesignCenter and drop them into a drawing file.
- Scaling of units between blocks and drawing will take place automatically.
- Automates the process of inserting blocks into a drawing from DesignCenter without
having to worry about scaling.
- New BMAKE dialog enables the customer to add block icons and descriptions when creating
- Content Preview provides the customer with more visual and descriptive information about
the block, prior to insertion into a drawing file.
- Block Descriptions enables the customer to view the block description from AutoCAD
DesignCenter prior to insertion into a drawing file.
- Customers can drag and drop a layer table, dimension styles, text styles, etc. from one
drawing file to another.
- Enables the customer to leverage and extract previously completed work from other
drawings and copy them into new or existing drawing files. New way of quickly creating
- Customers can bookmark or index frequently used locations or files on local drives,
network drives, or Internet Web sites via AutoCAD DesignCenter Favorites.
- Migrate LT 97s tabs into AutoCADs Favorites folder.
- History feature in AutoCAD DesignCenter "remembers" the last content types
used by the customer.
- Powerful search tool saves time locating drawing information, such as, blocks, text
styles, dimstyles, layers, drawing summary info, and drawing files located on local hard
drive, and network drives.
- Extensible for developers to meet specialized customer needs.- ARX API to add objects to
the AutoCAD DesignCenter
- Template drawing files can be used to organize resources like blocks, layers, dimension
styles, text styles, etc.
Qdim - Quick dimensioning
- Qdim - Interactive, dynamic, automatic dimension arrangement generator increases
- Continuous, staggered, baseline arrangements can be created dynamically via Rt.-click
- Remove and add vertices to customize automatic dimension arrangement. Control over what
points are used in the dimensioning arrangement. Smart dimensioning saves time.
- Select multiple circles and arcs to dimension with a radius or diameter and only pick
once for placing all the dimensions using Qdim.
- Qdim enables you to change the zero datum point of ordinate dimensions without changing
- Improved AutoSnaps user interface, tabbed dialog that integrates all drawing settings.
- Improved visual feedback with acquired points and temporary construction lines
- Position and place objects quickly relative to existing objects with no keyboard entry.
AutoCAD displays temporary construction lines, as needed reducing the need to create
construction line geometry. Decreased time to draw precisely. Builds on existing customer
knowledge and expertise. Increased productivity with fewer mouse clicks.
- New extension osnap for constructing objects.
- New parallel osnap for constructing objects.
- Temporary acquisition point enables quick reference geometry from any pick point.
- Developers can add their own osnaps with glyphs and tool tips enabling more customized
- Easy geometry placement and creation with AutoTracking.
- Eliminated the need to pick points to acquire osnaps for faster drawing, simply pause
cursor over desired point.
- New Polar tracking has the capability to track to any angle.
- Angle overrides available for precise angular positioning.
- Snapping controls based on current UCS or relative to the last line segment drawn.
- AutoTracking integrates dynamic XY filters, reducing the need to manually key-in XY
- Temporary AutoTracking enables XY displacement tracking with no need for typing an @
sign when using the From modifier.
- AutoTracking displays a Text Tip informing the customer of what points were acquired and
their relationship to one another.
- Color control is provided in the Options dialog for the temporary track line that
improves visual fidelity for the visually handicapped.
- Full screen path, no path display, or display a path options from a point to the
temporary osnap points enables better customer control over the drafting environment.
- Status line updated to have a pushed in or out look that enables you to visually tell
whether each control is on, off, or disabled.
- Flexible and powerful precision drafting with a TT modifier that can be entered at any
point prompt. This enables customers to reference any point in space as a tracking point.
Partial Open & Partial Load
- Increase overall performance and productivity by opening a portion of a drawing based on
- Increase overall performance and productivity by opening a portion of a drawing based on
- Enables customers the flexibility to quickly load a portion of a drawing based on the
geometry that is common to both saved views and specific layers for faster loading.
- Partial Open supports spatial indexes for faster loading.
- Partial Open gives control over loading external references reducing the amount of time
and memory required to load a large drawing while still providing full draw and edit
- Automatically opens drawings in last partially opened state.
- External references are supported with partial open and load.
- Once a customer has partially opened a drawing, they can use the Partial Load feature to
load additional portions of the drawing based on saved views and or layers.
- Partial load supports a pick window selection as criteria for a spatial load.
- Smart demand loading; all properties associated with geometry get loaded as needed.
3DOrbit -Dynamic visualization
- Fast, real-time zooming of 3D rendered models.
- Fast, real-time zooming of 3D wireframe models.
- 3D-view manipulation and visualization is made easy with dynamic 3D rotation. Models can
be easily rotated in the following shading modes "Wireframe", "Hidden
Wireframe", "Flat Shaded", "Gouraud Shaded", "Gouraud
shaded, Wireframe Edges On" and "Flat shaded, Wireframe Edges On".
- Models can be created and edited in any of the shading modes.
- Shading is persistent in single or multiple viewports.
- 3D models can be viewed in both parallel and perspective projection.
- AutoCAD now has a series of interactive camera-positioning tools that give customers
full control over the rotation and viewing angle of 3D models; namely, Camera / Target
Position, 3D Adjust Distance, and 3D Swivel.
- These interactive camera-positioning tools can be used in both parallel and perspective
- Transparent support for IntelliMouse pan and zoom within 3DOrbit.
- Interactive front and back clipping of 3D models enables customers to look inside the 3D
- Front and back clipping planes can be locked together to produce a slice through a 3D
- Support for culling or component selection allowing for faster rotating and clipping of
- 3D shaded models can continuously rotate in a customer specified free form manner. 3D
models can continuously rotate while dynamically clipped in a parallel or perspective
- Easily create rendered cross section views.
- Using a right-click menu or the 3D Orbit toolbar you can easily restore any of the
following standard views: Top, Front, Right, Left, Bottom, Back, and four different
- Support for a full 3D rendered UCS icon with labels to indicate the direction of the X,
Y, and Z-axes.
- Gridplane support gives customers a visual queue of the current UCS orientation making
it easier to determine the current drawing elevation.
- Interactive user interface to create materials and apply them to their 3D models.
- 3DOrbit supports Open GL hardware acceleration for increased performance.
UCS per Viewport
- User Coordinate Systems (UCS) can now be defined on a per viewport basis.
- Align an UCS to the face of a solid model with a single pick.
- Dynamic controls to flip UCS once aligned.
- "UCS Apply" enables a customer to apply the UCS settings from one viewport to
another by simply selecting a viewport.
- "UCS Move" provides the ability to change the UCS origin or depth of the
current UCS without changing its name.
- Preset UCS reduced the need for multiple named UCS.
automatically aligns to restored orthographic views.
- New UCS Manager dialog provides easy manipulation and management of UCS's. Customers can
restore their own UCSs or one of the 6 pre-defined orthographic UCSs.
- Automatic view alignment when UCS are restored.
- Double clicking within a model space viewport or layout area will activate that space.
New View dialog
- Enhanced view dialog displays more information such as, perspective or parallel viewing
- Restore and save customer defined view from within the new View dialog.
- Restoration of a view and UCS at the same time has become as simple as a click.
- Six standard views and four Isometric views are provided for more intelligent viewing.
- UCS labels indicate direction of X, Y, and Z-axes.
- Indicators for standard orthographic workplanes.
In-place reference editing
- External reference editing enables just in time editing
- Customers can select a portion of an external reference to edit in-place. You can edit
geometry in context, thereby reduce errors.
- Customers can select a portion of a block to edit in-place.
- Enable control whether the file can be reference edited by another customer.
- Ability to save or discard changes when editing reference geometry.
- Ability to edit reference geometry and current dwg at the same time.
- Copies objects quickly and efficiently between a drawing and an external reference.
- Copy geometry from your current drawing to an external reference.
- Control to dim the current drawing, removes visual complexity while editing external
- In-place reference editing user interface, displays a tree view with icons depicting
blocks vs. external references.
- Menus and toolbar more consistent and more windows familiar.
- More prominent display of tool`ars, updated look and feel.
- Maintained menu structure of Release 14 while adding new features.
Object Property Manager (OPM)
- Object Property Manager increases productivity with a faster, more accurate,
simpler way to change object properties.
- OPM displays the current properties of a single object selected.
- OPM displays the common properties for all objects of a selection set.
- OPM enables you to edit objects by type. If the selection set contains multiple objects
of the same type, object specific properties will be modifiable
- The OPM remembers last tab used last position, size, and docked state.
- The OPM is extensible for applications to add custom properties and expose their custom
- The OPM dialog is resizable, extensible and dockable.
- More properties exposed to the customer in a simple formed-based interface for editing.
- The OPM is available at all times as a modeless dialog state.
- Drawing properties are displayed in the OPM when no object is selected.
- The Quick Select feature may be accessed from OPM, enabling quick access to creating and
editing selection sets.
- Properties in the OPM can be quickly accessed since they can be organized in general
categories or alphabetically.
- Global polyline width, vertex start width, vertex end width are exposed for easy
- Access to dialogs with additional information and functionality and drop down menu lists
are available as necessary by expanding on any of the properties.
- Double click functionality available within property fields to rotate through all
- OPM replaced approximately 40 different editing commands and dialogs with one very
simple 2 column formed based editing tool.
- Easy access to lineweights, layer plot/No plot and plotstyles properties are provided
with the Object Property Toolbar.
Find (Global Text search and replace)
- Find tool finds text in the entire drawing enabling customers to quickly locate text.
- Find tool finds text in a selection set.
- The Find tool can be applied to the following types of text; Hypertext URL, Hypertext
Name, AutoCAD Dimension Annotation and block attributes.
- Find tool supports "Match case" enabling greater control of what text to find.
- Find tool supports "Find whole words only" enabling greater control of what
text to find.
- Easier to find text and go to that location in the drawing with the "Zoom to"
- Quick Select enable objects to be selected based on properties.
- Quick Select can be accessed from the Object Property Manager as well as from the Edit
and Default right-click menu.
- Flexible Quick Select limits the selection of object types to a single object type at a
- Enables customers to either include or exclude the objects that meet the select criteria
into the new selection set.
- Simple operators provided to define search criteria.
- Simple, easy to use interface, giving users quick access to building search and select
- Customers are given the flexibility to refine the selection by repeating the Qselect
- Enables customers to track the number objects meeting the search criteria.
Content Menus (Right click)
- Extensive right click support with context sensitivity throughout AutoCAD.
- Productivity gains and increased efficiency comes with surfacing common, frequently used
functionality to shortcut menus.
- Right clicking on the graphic screen with no geometry selected enables access to basic
CAD and Windows editing commands.
- Right clicking while in command mode, parses all command options to the right click
- Right clicking with a selection set active enables access to the specific object editing
- Customer control options to enable legacy behavior for right click gives the customers a
comfortable way to operate the way they did in past releases.
- Context menus are extensible to enable application developers access to adding their own
custom application commands.
- Right clicking on Toolbars, Status Bar elements inside AutoCAD provides quick access to
dialogs and common commands, increasing customers productivity.
- Context Menus are customizable for end users to include or preclude options that benefit
the way they work.
Solids editing Enhancements
- ACIS solids modeling engine has been updated to version 4.0.
- Flexible editing of ACIS solids is provided by using face, body and edge solid editing
- Face editing options include moving faces, rotate, offset, taper, delete, copy, and
change color of solids.
- Body editing enables customers to imprint objects onto a solid, separate a solid, shell
a solid or check the validity of a solid.
- A shelling capability has been added to our editing commands.
- Solids edit has been enhanced with an imprinting option.
- Edge editing enables changing the color of an edge of a solid and enables edges of solid
objects to be copied as new wireframe objects i.e. lines, arcs, ellipses, and splines.
- You can select a face to edit by directly picking the face. Simply select anywhere
within the boundary of the face and AutoCAD selects and highlights the face.
- To deselect a face, press the shift key and pick again.
- New solid editing toolbar.
- Solids of disjoint volume can be separated.
Drawing Properties (Summary Information)
- Drawing properties such as Creation date, Title, Subject, Author, Keywords, Comment
field, etc. is accessible from AutoCAD or Windows Explorer using the Properties functions
found in either right click or the file menu.
- Customers can now store descriptive data with their drawings and use that data to find
their drawings using Windows Explorer or AutoCAD DesignCenter Find tools.
- The Hyperlink Base option of the Drawing Properties feature enables the customer to
store the base address used for all relative hyperlinks inserted in the current drawing.
- The Custom tab option of the Summary Information feature enables customers to add fields
of data to any AutoCAD drawing.
- Customers can be more productive by reviewing information about a drawing without having
to actually open the drawing in AutoCAD.
- General tab displays types of file, created by, accessed by, size, location, MS DOS
names are read only fields on this tab.
- Statistics tab displays created by, Modified by, Total editing time and Last saved by
fields are read only values on this tab.
- A Network Security tab is added if the drawing file is stored on a network with options
for Permissions, Auditing and Ownership.
Compressed appears as an option within the
Attributes group of option checkboxes.
Text & Mtext enhancements
- Rationalizing Text and Dtext into a single Text command makes text easier to use.
- Added the new Euro symbol to all SHX fonts and their TTF equivalents.
- Improved speed and improved usability of text is accomplished through improved
formatting and better style handling.
- The fraction improvements and autostacking options of the Mtext feature give better
control over the appearance of fractions with improved fractional editing and formatting
and support for diagonal type fractions in text.
- The AutoCAPS option of the Mtext dialog enables better control over the appearance of
text within AutoCAD without effecting other Windows applications.
- The Line Spacing option of the Mtext dialog enables "at least or exact" line
spacing giving better control over paragraph appearance.
- An easy way to combine paragraphs is added to the Mtext feature.
Command Line Standardization
- Command Line Standardization provides ease of use and increased learnability with better
instructions as to what to do with clear and consistent prompts.
- Command prompts following these standards automatically appear in the right-click menu
Layer Properties Manager
- A new re-sizeable Layer Properties Manager dialog provides more than three times the
area for listing layers names.
- Layer Properties Manager includes support for 255 character layer names, text tips,
double click to set current layer, quick filters, saving of layer filters, lineweights,
plot style, shortcut menu and a plot/no plot layer property.
- The Layer Properties Manager new user interface has been simplified for ease of use
while providing more information to the customer.
- Customers can save and recall named layer filters through an easy to use drop down menu
or a shortcut menu.
- External reference named filters are automatically created and listed in the filter
dropdown and shortcut menu.
- Using the Quick Filter feature customers can filter out layers that are not currently
- A new invert filter option allows customers to quickly invert current filters to access
- Double clicking on a layer to make it current speeds the process of setting a layer
- New plot noplot option allows users to maintain layer visibility within the
drawing while not have to plot the layers at output time.
- Lineweights assigned by layer enables better visual fidelity in the drawing. It enables
the customer more options for organizing their drawing.
- Customers can apply plot styles at the layer level to control the objects plotting
- New status line of the Layer Properties dialog reports the total number of layers and
the number of filtered layer matches which helps customers manage their layers.
Database connectivity enhancements
- The new dbConnect Manager provides the customer with a central location to administer
and organize all aspects of their database connection.
- With dbConnect Manger, customers can visually and readily see what database(s) are
attached to their drawing files.
- dbConnect utilizes the Microsoft database standard OLEDB 2.0.
- Customers can view the contents of any table or query shown in dbConnect by simply
double clicking on the item.
- Tables and queries are viewed in a Microsoft Excel-like dialog called Dataview.
- Customers can edit the contents of a database table or results of a query in the Data
- Linking row(s) to objects is a simple process of selecting the rows, selecting the Link
command and selecting the AutoCAD objects in the drawing file.
- Linked elements in the design file or in the database can be easily be located using a
- When searching for a linked object in the drawing file, dbConnect will zoom to the
linked objects and automatically select them for the customer.
- When searching for linked database records in a database table, Data View will
automatically highlight the linked records.
- Customers can link and display selected fields from a database in the drawing file as
linked MTEXT objects called Labels.
- When database information changes, customers can update Labels with Update Labels
- Records in Data View can be printed to any Windows System Printer.
- Better support of databases is provided by supporting the following; Visual Dbase 7.01,
Oracle 8, Paradox 8.0,Visual FoxPro 5.0, Access 97, Excel 97, MS SQL Server 6.5
- dbConnect Query Builder provides the novice to expert customer with a very easy way to
build queries inside AutoCAD.
- The Quick and Range query tabs enables a customer to quickly perform a search on a
selected field without typing SQL statement.
- For the more sophisticated database customer, the Query Builder, and SQL Query tabs
provides an easy to use yet extremely powerful interface for creating advanced SQL
- Connectivity Automation Object (CAO) API provides the customer with a Visual Basic API
for customizing and automating database tasks.
- The dbConnect C++ API provides the advanced developer with an interface for creating
advanced database applications and features.
Extended Symbol Names (ESN)
- Symbol names have been extended from 31 to 255 characters including special characters
such as spaces, allowing for flexibility in naming within AutoCAD.
- The new Dimstyle Manager, provides an easy to use consistent way of viewing and editing
- The new preview pane in the Dimstyle Manager updates as dimension variables change which
provides the customer visual verification thereby reducing errors.
- The new "compare" option of the Dimstyle Manager enables quick comparison of
- AutoCAD provides better support for non-US dimensions with a support for different
- The Dimstyle Manager enables users to build dimstyles from external references.
- Better control and consistency for parent/child relationships.
- Qleader can be quickly customized with a command optimization dialog that eliminates
extra prompts and command line options for streamlined maximum efficiency.
- Qleaders provide angle constraints.
- AutoCAD provides new re-sizeable dialogs with modern subdialog boxes for items like
Color and Font control.
Appload & Startup Dialog
- Drag and Drop
is supported in the new Appload dialog enabling customers easy
access to loaded applications.
- The new dialog enables users to unload applications with a single click.
- The new Appload dialog supports favorites, loaded applications history, Startup Suite
and double click to load files.
- The new Startup dialog displays a larger space for viewing drawing files and their
- The new redesigned Startup dialog helps new customers get started using AutoCAD.
- The new redesigned Bhatch dialog supports hatch preview from right click menu.
- SaveAs dialog is resizable.
- Better support for collaboration as customers can now specify the default format for the
Save and SaveAs commands.
- AutoCAD has Web aware file access which enables the customer to open AutoCAD files (DWG,
DXF, etc) directly from a web site.
- From within any File Open or Save dialog, the customer can browses web sites with the
integrated web browser for DWG, DXF, ARX, LSP, etc. files and open/save them.
- This feature provides accessibility of files located on Internet/Intranet/Extranet web
sites all over the world.
- Internet-enables AutoCAD allows customers too easily share or access data over the
- Customers can attach Internet hyperlink addresses and descriptions to AutoCAD objects or
graphics using the Attach Hyperlinks Dialog.
- In addition to URL addresses, customers can hyperlink objects to other AutoCAD DWG
files, Microsoft Word, Excel and other Windows applications.
- The Hyperlinks dialog enables the customer to hyperlink to a named location or named
view in a DWG, Word, or Excel file.
- The hyperlinks cursor displays a hyperlink icon and a tool tip whenever it passes over
an object that contains hyperlink attachments. Allowing for easier location within your
- Customers can traverse hyperlinks by right clicking on an object, and selecting the Open
- Customers can Edit, Copy, or Add to Favorites hyperlink addresses by right clicking on
- Customers can view and edit the hyperlink URL address of object(s) from Object Property
- With the Office 97-styled Web Toolbar, customers can navigate to and from DWG files,
HTML files, .DOC files, etc. just like browser.
ePlot (electronic plot) DWF
- The ePlot provides an electronic plot of a drawing file (or an equivalent layout) in a
secure, Internet-ready, neutral file format, DWF (Drawing Web Format).
- Advanced features of ePlot provide support of layers, hyperlinks, background color,
measuring, scaling and lineweights in DWF files.
- Customers can share their data/files in DWF without compromising the data in its native
- EPlot provides an inexpensive alternative to generating a hardcopy plot and mailing it
to a client or customer.
- Customers can ePlot their drawings to scale and send them via email, for example to
their clients, contractors, customers, etc where they can view them with WHIP!
- Improved database exchange with more intelligent DXF files based on an object oriented
- DXF support for Save, Wblock, and insert commands.
- DXF files are more accessible with a preview image.
- Partial loading of DXF has been enabled again for more flexibility.
- DXF load times have been reduced increasing productivity.
- User has the ability to generate multiple layouts or paperspaces.
- Flexible, easy to use tab interface has simplified the movement between model space and
- The new user interface enables the user the ability to quickly create, copy, or move
layouts from a right click menu.
- Customers can store plot data specific to each layout through the Page Setup dialog,
allowing for one button plotting.
- For flexible creation of layouts, layouts can be created from scratch or through layout
- For fast creation of layouts, layouts structures from other drawings can be inserted
into the current drawing.
- Customers have the ability to save plot settings to a name and apply them to any layout
thereby saving plot set up time.
- Customers can plot the same layout to different scales and devices easily. For example,
plot to a smaller paper at half scale.
- Layouts provide a WYSIWYG preview of exactly what will plot before the drawing is
plotted reducing plotting errors.
- Each layout displays a paper border that reflects the plot area for that layout.
Displays a paper border that takes into account paper size, scale factor, paper
orientation, and plot offset.
- Layouts reflect the current lineweight providing the customer feedback that aids in
reducing plotting errors.
- Customers can better communicate their design ideas by clipping viewports to suite the
shape and size required to best show their designs.
- Customers can convert any closed object to a viewport providing the customer with better
space planning for plotted output.
Viewport enhancements & dialog
- New viewport locking feature allows users to lock the scale of the viewport.
- The new viewport toolbar enables assigning a scale to the viewport by picking from a
extensive drop down list i.e. ¼"= 1.
- Viewport properties have been extended to the Object Property Manager allowing for easy
access and editing.
- The new viewports dialog enables customers to specify views inside the dialog for each
- The new viewports dialog enables spacing between viewports.
- Ease and visual clarity of viewport layout is greatly improved by a preview window in
the viewports dialog..
- Customers can save and restore viewport configurations.
- Mview and vports have been rationalized into the same easier to use dialog.
- 3D views and a per viewport UCS can be easily created as a viewport configuration.
- Industry standard lineweights can be assigned on a per object or per layer basis
providing customers with WYSIWYG presentation quality drawings on screen.
- Lineweights display can easily be turned on or off using a status bar control.
- Customers can tailor the on screen display of lineweights to suite their needs using the
lineweight Display control.
- AutoCAD has a default lineweight, which allows users to save on performance and memory.
- Lineweights can be applied to all AutoCAD objects.
- Lineweights can be assigned in inches or millimeters.
Plotting enhancements and UI
- Greatly improved Windows based Plot dialog interface.
- New Plot style editor allowing users to over-ride property settings at a layer, or
- Wizard for creating new plot styles
- Wizard for migrating PCP/PC2/cfg files to the current configuration.
- The addition of a simple check box to allow users the ability to automatically center
- New plotting user interface and improved architecture together with drawing layouts
enable WYSIWYG plotting.
- Plotting data is saved in the drawing.
- Plot Styles enable customers to control the properties of objects at plot time
independent of color.
- You can assign plot style tables to a layout and viewport.
- Streamlined print options saves time, frustration and confusion involved with plotting a
- Paper sizes are now dictated to AutoCAD based on the plotting device.
- Many different types of presentation quality drawings can be created using plot style
- Plot styles enable the application of screening, lineweight, linetype, gray scale, end
joint style and fill patterns.
- Automatic migration of Release 14 pen assignments.
- Ability to plot multiple copies from within AutoCAD.
- Ability to plot multiple layouts at once.
- Easily modify device settings at plot time using Windows standard Properties button.
- Industry standard scale factors provided in a drop down list.
- Visual cue of paper size and plot-able area for more accurate plots.
- The Plot style Table Manager enables customers to have two style tables with the same
plot style name but have different values.
- A Windows Based Plotter Configuration Editor provides a consistent user interface for
setting new device defaults.
- Driver configuration accomplished through Windows Wizards.
- Plotter configuration files now fully portable for customers.
- The new plotting interface and architecture are built on the Heidi engine, which was
introduced in R14.
- The new PC3 file separates, "How-to-Plot" data from "What to Plot"
- HDI architecture simplifies new device support for driver updates in the field. Better
- HDI architecture promotes portability and better batch plotting.
- The new plotting pipeline gives the users more control and flexibility in the area of
plotting, while at the same time allow for better performance.
True Color support
- Raster images and renders can now be displayed and plotted in 24-bit color.
- Customers can significantly increase the visual fidelity of raster images for better
presentation quality images.
ObjectARX Programming Interface Extensions
- Developers can derive from base classes in the ObjectARX AcDb database for all AutoCAD
- Custom OSNAP Mode has a new API for the definition, registration and processing of
Custom OSNAP mode.
- OSNAP API: New API protocol that defines the return of custom OSNAP alignment lines as
well as OSNAP points.
- Input Point Monitor: Applications can register a call back to monitor the input point
computation history for input points or cursor tracking events.
- Input Point Monitor: More notification callbacks to track input point acquisition
- Layouts: API for creation and control of multiple layouts.
- Partial Open: Programmatic control of Partial Open for large drawing management.
- Completion of R12 Entity Objectification provides implementations of the entire virtual
member over rides declared in AcDbEntity or AcDbCurve prior to AutoCAD.
- Reference Editing API enables selection of XREFs, descending through the block
references to edit an entity and then saving the changes.
- SaveAs has new functionality enables programmatic specification of default format.
- Solids Editing adds new methods to support operations added by the Solids Editing
- Startup Wizard Customization provides additional support for specifying new Wizards and
initializing the registry to point to their own Startup Wizards.
- Drawing properties provides access to descriptive summary text in a DWG.
- MTEXT Enhancements adds new members to make MTEXT more extensible to developers.
- 24-bit Color adds extended color support in AcDbb and AcGi.
- UCS per viewport extended to developers to enable applications greater flexibility in
- AcArray Template consolidates all array classes into a single template. Old classes will
be supported but are deprecated.
- AcBr Enhancements: BREP library has been updated.
- AcGe enhancements adds new classes and adds functionality to existing classes.
- ADS Programming Environment is finally gone and fully replaced by ObjectARX environment.
- ADS commands are re-entrant.
- New memory manager within AutoCAD allows for better memory management.
- Graphics System Access through AcGs - the graphics system API.
- DXF Enhancements Preview images have been added to DXF files and are
- Internet Support URL access via a set of ObjectARX APIs.
- New lineweight support via AcDBEntity for both plotting and display.
- MDI - ObjectARX MDI API features Application Object, Document Manager Object, Document
Locking and Unlocking, and Document Event Notification.
- MFC Tabbed Dialog Extensions - AcUi is an MFC extension dynamic-link library used to
extend some UI-related classes of MFC.
- Layouts and Non-Rectangular Viewports - The layouts feature adds the capability to
create multiple layouts in a single .DWG file accessible through the AcDbLayout object.
The AcDbViewport object enables non-rectangular viewport clipping.
- OLE Rescaling enables developers to determine if an OLE object is selected.
- Options - All the "Profiles" operations provided in the Profiles tab of the
Preferences Dialog can now be accessed through this class (AcApProfileManager)
- New ActiveX APIs included are: DesignCenter, Database Connectivity, Hardcopy
(printing/plotting), Internet Suppport, Object Property Manager (OPM), Options (formerly
Preferences) Manipulation, MFC Toolbar, Menu Extensions.
- Image Support Module (ISM) Enhancements.
- Intellimouse Support API Applications can enable the Intellimouse and directly
Integrated Visual LISP
- Customers and developers now have access to a completely integrated development
environment for LISP.
- With a visual programming environment now available for the familiar AutoLISP language,
the learning curve is greatly reduced.
- As a complete customization environment, Visual LISP will increase productivity by
enabling customers to create powerful timesaving solutions quickly and easily.
- The Visual LISP color-coded syntax source checker gives customers immediate feedback on
- With the color-coded source text editor, typographic errors for subroutines are
- The Visual LISP integrated development environment comes with a complete set of
- The parentheses balancing feature saves time when searching for missing or extra
parentheses within LISP code.
- Automatic formatting can take AutoLISP source code and reformat it so that it follows a
- The automatic formatting option within Visual LISP is programmable.
- Visual LISP includes an animation feature that highlights expressions within a routine
as they are executed, helping to evaluate the code for bugs, etc.
- Specific sections of LISP routines can be evaluated by setting breakpoints within the
code and running the animation feature.
- Visual LISP offers symbol protection for standard AutoLISP symbols and provides a
warning and opportunity to break out of a program when symbols are misused.
- The Apropos feature shortens original program entry time by displaying symbol lists for
- The Online help includes specific examples and a tutorial.
- The Visual LISP tutorial is in a PDF format that can be printed out.
- With Visual LISP developers and customers can compile their code for faster application
- Compiled Visual LISP code is in a binary format which end customers cannot read, so
programming algorithms and intellectual property are secure.
- With compiled LISP applications, support costs can be reduced and CAD standards can be
established because end customers can no longer modify, intentionally or inadvertently,
- Visual LISP includes an ActiveX Automation interface for AutoLISP
- Customers now have access to entity object methods and properties.
- Object Reactors will execute LISP based on AutoCAD events.
- Visual LISPs access to the Reactor system offers support for editor, linker and
- Customers have access to operating system file operation functions.
- Visual LISP has an extended library of list manipulation tools.
ActiveX Extensions Events and VBA
- Customers and developers have a richer set of AutoCAD ActiveX objects available to
customize and program AutoCAD.
- Customers and developers have a greater set of "events" that can trigger
applications to launch or react to in the AutoCAD environment.
- Customers and developers can build, and load multiple VBA projects in AutoCAD.
Customers and developers can embed their VBA projects in a
drawing file which enables rapid distribution of customized solutions built in VBA that
need to remain with a drawing.
- The Options dialog, formerly named Preferences, has been redesigned and updated to
reflect a more intuitive user interface.
- Option settings have been separated into drawing and secession based options for use in
an MDI environment.
- New settings have been added to the Options dialog to allow for greater customization
- The current drawing and profile names are displayed at the top of the dialog box to
inform user of setting.
Powerful Technology Framework
- Customers and developers can programmatically create custom toolbars.
- Many new features in AutoCAD have programmatic interfaces, or APIs. This enables
customers and developers, using various programming methods, to gain greater programmable
control over AutoCADs environment, and database object set.
- The ACIS 4.0 kernel provides interoperability with Mechanical Desktop and increased
productivity while creating 3D solid models do to the performance and stability
- Developers can derive from base classes in the ObjectARX AcDb database for all AutoCAD
objects. This enables fundamental custom object development built from existing objects in
the AutoCAD database. Eliminates one of the primary barriers for developer adoption of
- Windows 95, 98, and NT 4.0 logo compliant thereby reducing the customers learning
curve by using Microsoft Windows.
- AutoCAD is Y2K compliant.
- Wizards added for Layout, Add a plotter, and Add a Plot Style Sheet walk the customer
through complex tasks with clear instructions.
- On-line help / Whats this Help updated to use latest Windows presentation and
organization. Provides improved learnability through Windows standard for presenting
customer assistance information.
- Software rendering acceleration. Enables discard of back faces, support for OpenGL.
Hardware can be configured for speed providing faster rendering performance.
- 10% performance improvements for key operations enabling customers the ability to
create, review and modify drawings faster.
- OLE text scaling has been enhanced to allow users control of their OLE objects.
- Installation enhancements provide the customer with flexibility to choose what AutoCAD
components they want to install.
- Upgrade install option added to install.
- Web Registration and authorization.
- Installation will migrate R14 custom files, like menu files, linetype files, and text
styles, to the new AutoCAD install directory.
- AutoCAD support for homogenous and heterogeneous Banyan, Novell, and TCP/IP network
- The AutoCAD License Manager (ADLM) will now support all Autodesk network-supported
products like Mechanical Desktop 3.0, AutoCAD LT 98, and Architectural Desktop.
- Full data roundtrip support between R14 and AutoCAD 2000
- An AutoCAD Learning Assistance CD (ALA) will be included that contains an
instructional-based, multimedia learning tool enabling a shorter time to learn new AutoCAD
- A new module, AutoCAD Support Assistance
(ASA), will be included in the
AutoCAD Help mechanism and contains answers to common technical questions.
- A new AutoCAD Migration Assistance CD will be included to provide tools to assist the
user in migrating their current AutoCAD environment to AutoCAD 2000.
- Full Intellimouse support.